|Spreading over an area of over 21 square kilometers between Thetford and Norwich and being located within the district of Breckland, in Norfolk, Attleborough is another civil parish and market town England is flooded by.
The origins and historical paths of the town are not extremely clear. However, history books or the Domesday Book talk about the town being a foundation of an Atlinge. Also, there are clear indications in the townâ€™s name itself that Attleborough used to be an old fortification. While the Domesaday survey dated back in 1085 refers to the town as Attleburc, the mid-twelfth-century hagiographer of Saint Edmund, Galfridus de Fontibus states that the actual founder of the royal town was Athla. A succession of historical events took place after that, starting with the invasion of the Danes, the struggle of the Saxons, the coming of William the Conqueror or the three-century reign of the Mortimer family. The Mortimer family has orders for the Chapel of the Holy Cross to be built, as the South Transept of Attleborough Church. This took place in the 14th century, and one hundred years later another member of the Mortimer family, Sir Robert de Mortimer created the College of the Holy Cross. At a later moment in time, this college was added the Nave and Aisles, in order to accommodate the congregation. Because of Henry the VIII's dissolution orders of all monasteries, the Chapel of the Holy Cross was destroyed and the materials were used to build the road that connects Attleborough and Buckenham. Luckily, there is still a tower visible, a part of the Church, at the East End of the town.
Another historical incident that is worth mentioning in regards to the town of Attleborough is the fire that took place in 1559 and which destroyed most part of the town. The reconstruction period that followed gave birth to building such as the Griffin Hotel, which was used as prison cellars for prisoners who were on their way to the March Assizes in Thetford. Due to the frequent arrival of these prisoners, the public started to pay them a lot of attention, and the town traders began a tradition each time they had company. Thus was created the Attleborough Rogues Fair that took place on the Market place on every Thursday in March. There was also an annual guild tradition established, and the weekly market is still being held even today. The years 2004 brought the market tradition back to its roots, in the Queenâ€™s Square, the original location where these fairs took place in the past.
The large population in Attleborough required no less than six hostelries: The Griffin, which is the oldest, The Cock, The Angel, The Bear, The Crown and The White Horse. The Griffin, The Cock and The Bear are still operational; The Crown has been transformed into a Youth Centre, while The Angel is now a nice building society branch office. Two more public houses have been added to the town, The London Tavern and The Mulberry Tree. The Mulberry Tree has gained a lot of awards for its exquisite restaurant.
If you are looking to buy a http://www.propertywide.co.uk/buy/search/attleborough%20(norfolk)/house/ then please visit http://www.propertywide.co.uk
Source: ActuaFreeArticles.com - Free articles and fresh content for your web sites opt-in newsletters and e-zines