|Cooking an Indian Curry? Here are 6 Things You Need to Know
Whenever one thinks of curry, the first word that comes into people’s mind is Indian. Indian curries are envisaged all around the world because of them being spicy and full of flavour unlike curries of other nations' like Thai and Chinese. However, Indian restaurants in Ottawa bet the fact that most people don’t really know the basic essence of Indian curries. These curries come in various forms and flavours and the way they are consumed differs as well.
If you do not live around the best Indian takeout in Ottawa, then making your own curry is a much better alternative. Following are some great tips to help you cook Indian curries easily and successfully.
1. Buy the Spices – Spices have a great deal to do with Indian curry. So, your first step should be to buy small quantities of spices like; coriander seed, chilli powder, cumin seed, cardamom pods (green), turmeric powder, cinnamon sticks, fenugreek seeds, black peppercorns, cloves and mustard seeds (black).
2. Store them Properly – Indian restaurants in Ottawa always advise to store the spices in airtight containers and keep them away from light or else they tend to deteriorate in taste and flavour quickly. A traditional Indian spice box can come extremely handy since it allows you to keep your most used spices at one place which makes cooking faster and less of a hassle.
3. The Veggies! – Vegetables play an essential role in Indian curries. Some of them like onion, tomato, garlic and ginger are the quintessential of every Indian curry. Best Indian takeouts in Ottawa always advise those who are keen to cook Indian curry to check with these basic veggies before they even commence cooking.
4. You Need Time – Like the chefs of all good Indian restaurants in Ottawa say, Indian curries demand time. Hence, it is important that you leave yourself with plenty of time. Some curries demand the meat to be marinated and to be cooked slowly for long. Thus, the best way to get indulged in Indian cooking is to pour yourself a cup of tea or a glass of wine while you cook that delicious curry.
5. Invest in Your Spices – Best Indian takeouts will agree with the fact that Indian curries revolve around spices. Therefore, one should always go for individual spices rather than commercial curry powders. One can also bring a new aroma in his/her curry by toasting the spices in a fry pan or grinding it in a coffee grinder.
6. Keep it Healthy – Though cooks in Indian restaurants in Ottawa use ghee for frying, however, if you wish to stick to healthier norms then vegetable or corn oil is simply as good and does not add on to your weight. One should always remember that if he/she is making use of non-stick pan for cooking then they’ll require only a little quantity of oil.
Cow is considered sacred in India because of which you won’t find any recipes for beef curries, however, you can substitute beef for lamb or any other meat. We, at http://www.bramptonfoods.ca/, are amongst the best Indian takeouts in Ottawa. Contact us at 613-695-9915 to get more info about our services.
Article Source: ActuaFreeArticles.com