|The word 'arthritis' is a combination of the Greek words 'arthro' meaning joint and 'itis' with the meaning inflammation. Therefore arthritis is a joint disorder affecting the bones and muscles at a joint. A joint that has been attacked by arthritis is usually very painful, stiff and swollen. Arthritis may be so painful at times that it may interfere with daily routine of activities and restrict movement to a large extent.
Our joints lie within capsules filled with synovial fluid. The bone heads meeting at a joint bear cartilages serving as cushions and enabling friction less movement of bones at the joint. When cartilages degenerate, friction occurs between bones which may as a result get reduced to spurs or osteophytes. Aging causes natural degeneration of cartilages due to weakening. Obesity, history of previous injury, genetic grounds, bone infection, repetitive movements, calcium deficiencies, hormonal imbalance, damp environmental conditions and stress are other factors causing arthritis. Osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis are the commonest types of arthritis.
Osteoarthritis occurs due to cartilage degeneration caused by aging of the body. Rheumatoid arthritis affects young aged people and occurs when the body’s immune system mistakenly invades joints. Infectious arthritis occurs when infection from other parts of body spreads to the joint. Gout is another type that occurs due to crystallization of uric acid within joints. Joints like knee, hip, spine and shoulder easily come within the clutches of arthritis.
Symptoms of Arthritis
1. Painful joints
2. Swollen joints
3. Stiff joints
4. Redness of skin around joints
5. Warmth and tenderness
6. Deformity at the joint
13. Weight loss
14. Swollen lymph nodes.
1. Taking 6.50 grams of powdered ginger can help to treat arthritic conditions.
2. Epsom salt bath can treat well stiff and swollen joints.
3. Castor oil can serve as an effective rub for joints affected by arthritis.
4. One may mix 10 grams of camphor in to 200 grams of mustard oil, store it in a bottle with a tight cork and keep the mixture in the sun so that the camphor dissolves completely. Massaging the joints with this mixture would be quite beneficial.
5. Soaking the body in a tub of warm water before going to bed at night would reduce stiffness of joints and muscles. Sea salt may be added to the water for best results.
6. Massaging aching joints with hot vinegar can be quite beneficial.
7. Drinking freshly extracted potato juice diluted with water can treat arthritis well.
8. Sea bathing is an effective arthritis treatment.
9. Rubbing ailing joints with chamomile essential oil can yield good results. Chamomile has analgesic properties.
10. Tight bandages should not be worn over joints because that would thwart the blood circulation and make joints stiffer.
Read more Home Remedies for Arthritis at http://www.home-remedies-guide.com/arthritis.htm Also know effective Home Remedies for Baldness at http://www.home-remedies-guide.com/baldness.htm Read useful Home Remedies for Anemia at http://www.home-remedies-guide.com/anemia.htm
Article Source: ActuaFreeArticles.com